My sister Chelsey was finally able to send a few of the pictures she took of the family reunion we had up in McCall, Idaho at the end of July. Colt and I road-tripped it up there on Wednesday and stayed through Sunday. We had a blast, it was so much fun.
Our family just keeps growing and growing. There are 19 grandkids on my dad's side, and I'm one of the young'uns (at 25). So a lot of my cousins have 3 or 4 kids now, which made for a rowdy bunch. I think there were about 50 people there, and some were missing! Including my sweet littlest sister Amy, who was called to serve in the Londrina, Brazil mission, but is currently serving in Hayes, Kansas as she awaits the arrival of her ever-elusive visa. We missed her, but are so proud of the good work she is doing.
My family is pretty active. We like to move. I'm not sure Colt knew that he was in for somewhat of a fitness test when we left our comfy couch that week, but...he's stuck with us now! My Aunt Becky and Uncle Larry brought their boat, so there was wakeboarding, waterskiing, and wake-surfing(I was SO sore), a marshmallow blow-gun fight (during which my grandmother hit me in the face, ouch), an early morning family 5k, and a bunch of the boys (my husband included) went mountain biking the night before the race.
My husband does not run. Ever. Not unless there is a ball he is chasing down and putting in a hoop or a goal. So I was shocked when he said he would wake up at 7:00 a.m. and run the 5k with me. I think he must have been overwhelmed by all the competitive spirits present. Also, I think he wanted to make a good impression, because he also:
1. stayed up past 11:00 p.m., in order to...
2. play two rounds of Mafia with all of the cousins.
Those things never happen, either.
1. stayed up past 11:00 p.m., in order to...
2. play two rounds of Mafia with all of the cousins.
Those things never happen, either.
I was proud of him! He ran the whole way, even after mountain biking and wakeboarding all weekend. He came in 6th out of everybody! I came in 5th all-around (but 1st out of all the girls). I'd say we represented our little family very well.
Maybe our kids will be Olympians. If they are, I hope they are Olympians in a cheap sport, like running or table-tennis. I don't want to pay for rhythmic gymnastics ribbons or fencing equipment.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
I would also like to state, for posterity, that my husband is somewhat of a talented horseshoe player. For those not familiar with the game of horseshoe (i.e. the entire world), you will have to look up the rules. But I will tell you that my husband threw an exceptionally clutch double ringer to win a very close game of horseshoe during the all-important, much anticipated Christensen Family Horseshoe Tournament (there was a bracket, there were multiple rounds, there was a vast audience). He was rewarded with huge cheers, big hugs, and cries of "Welcome to the family!"
If you thought induction into the Christensen clan occurred when you married into it, you're wrong. So wrong.
True acceptance occurs once you have performed an impressive athletic feat under significant pressure and do-or-die circumstances.
Mission accomplished, babe!
Welcome to the family.
Most of these pictures are just random snapshots, Chelsey didn't have one of the entire bunch.
This guy was doing dolphin dives with his little contraption. Until he was stopped by the lake police and awarded a hefty fine for his illegal, but neat, activities.
Taylor, Ashley (cousins) and Aunt Kari
My dad and Aunt Becky
Christensen Family, minus Amy
A fraction of the family about to head out on the boat
My dad, age 48.9, waterskiing like a boss







No comments:
Post a Comment