Friday, September 12, 2014

Running While Pregnant

I've been running since I was 15, but honestly, in the last couple years I've been slacking. What with grad school, working full-time, getting married and then pregnant, and moving across the country, it's been busy! I went from running almost every day, to about three days, to about...one, if I was lucky. 
But I've missed it so. And since I never gave up running completely, and was doing a lot of cycling and other forms of cardio, I figured (with the approval of my doctor) I could start going regularly now that I have more free time, even though I'm pregnant. My dad and I want to run a half marathon next summer after little man has exited my uterus, so I'm hoping I won't have to start training completely from scratch.

I've been running a few days a week lately, and I've found that running while pregnant has a bit of a learning curve. You have to be really aware of your body and how you are feeling, because "pushing through it" is no longer recommended. In the past, if I felt tired or my knee was tweaky or I had a side ache, I kept going. No pain, no gain, right? No longer, my friends. The new motto over here is 
"No pain=No problems. You don't have to go on bedrest!" 
So, I have to make sure I don't go too fast or too hard. In fact, if I get to a point where I can't have a conversation or whistle while I'm running, I have to slow down. I run alone, so don't mind me. I'm the one whistling a song and talking to myself every few minutes or so. Just checking in.
And this. So much truth, especially during a run:
Also, I'm five and a half months along, so I'm kind of at the weird stage where people don't automatically assume I'm pregnant. I'm showing, but not in a super obvious way. I just look a little...thick. But I am pregnant, and I am SLOW. So slow. Like, there was a very pleasant 70 year old man running on the track this morning, and we were probably going about the same pace. Part of this is due to the fact that as soon as I start to feel like I'm breathing too hard, or I notice I'm going a little fast, or I feel the ligaments in my belly start to pull, I slow waaaay down.  But, for some reason, pregnancy also just makes you slow. In fact, I'm slower than I was in 7th grade. Which is sad, but also kind of funny, because most people don't know that I'm running for two. So I just look like a perfectly healthy girl with a bit of a tummy, running slower than my elderly counterparts.
Additionally, I have to use a belly support band now. Like I said, my belly isn't super big yet, but it's big enough that I'm experiencing some stretching pains, especially while running. The ligaments in my stomach and sides are stretching, and when you add the jaunty bounce that occurs while jogging, it feels like a painful side-ache is encompassing my entire lower abdomen. Ouch. This is especially frustrating, because I'm going so slow that I'm not tired, and my legs and lungs feel like they could go forever. I want so badly to keep running, but my baby bump hurts, man! And I'm not supposed to run through the pain anymore, remember? So I went and bought a belly support band, and used it for the first time this morning. It really seemed to help. I had an actual side-cramp when I started, but it went away pretty quickly and the rest of the run was super comfortable. Hopefully the band will continue to work as I expand like a balloon.

Despite the learning curve, the aches and pains, and occasional frustrations, pregnant running has been great so far. It feels so nice to get outside, to do something familiar (with a few modifications).  If you have realistic expectations for yourself, and you're willing to forget about pace/time, listen to your body and your baby, and be flexible with your mileage, I think it can be an enjoyable experience for anyone who wants to give it a try.

Ask me again in a couple months if I still feel the same way.


No comments: