Saturday, February 21, 2015

Colton

I need to take a minute and tell you a little bit about this Colton of mine. 

As happy as we are about this new addition to our family, we are still adjusting to life with Jace. Newborns are a lot of work, and every day is different. C and I are still trying to figure him out. In the midst of getting to know our little man and, through trial and error, understanding what he needs, my body is still healing up from the whole childbirth thing. It's going pretty well, but there's been ups and downs. At one point I was pretty sick and we were afraid I had mastitis (luckily, I did not). I was feverish and achy and so overwhelmed. And even now that I'm better, I definitely get frustrated and feel a little in over my head. Pregnancy, labor, recovery, being a mommy...it's hard. People tell you it's hard, but that concept is so abstract. It's the kind of hard you can't fully comprehend until you experience it. And then when you're experiencing it, you're all: "Why didn't anyone tell me about this?!"  

Colt has always been the kind of person you want on your team. He works hard, takes charge, and is unfailingly willing to serve the people around him. When I was sick those few days and he had two babies to take care of, he did it. He took care of us both, and even though I know he was probably stressed out, he didn't let it get him down. But it doesn't end there. While I sit on the recliner all day with a small human practically fused to my chest, he cleans the house, goes to the store to get groceries, pays our bills, makes meals (and goes and gets me green smoothies from Panera), and does the laundry. When he gets home from work, he changes diapers, holds JJ when he cries, swaddles him after 3 am feedings because I suck at it and Jace wiggles out of my swaddles in about two seconds, gives me a breather when he can tell I'm about to lose it, and a million other things-all while encouraging me and staying positive. He goes to work all day to do his job, then comes home and does mine too. I honestly get a little bit teary when I think about this guy-I'm so grateful for him. 

There's no better.

No comments: