Technically, he won't be 5 months for three more days. But that's close enough, right? At (almost) five months, Jace...
-Is purposefully reaching for and grabbing whatever looks interesting-toys, books, kitchen utensils, my hair...and it all goes right in his mouth.
-Does little baby crunches, lifting his head and shoulders off the ground while laying on his back. It's pretty impressive, but sort of ineffective, given his tummy still has more rolls than a Swedish bakery. Sorry little dude.
-Uses his legs to scoot himself backwards on his back, pushing off the floor or Colt's legs.
-Turns his head towards Colt and I when we call him by his various nicknames (including JJ, peanut, peanut butter, and pickle. I never claimed they were flattering nicknames).
-Is sitting up! He's still a little wobbly when he sits upright without using his hands for support, but he's holding it longer and longer everyday. He's not happy on his back or tummy for long periods of time anymore, because he wants to show off his mad sitting skillz.
-Has randomly started grabbing my hand so he can suck on my fingers. Apparently his own will no longer suffice.
-Is not eating solids yet, but has had tiny tastes of several different foods, including guacamole, salsa, smoothies, oatmeal, and...ice cream (for shame, Papa Todd!). I didn't realize how hard it is to keep other people from giving your child food. It all happens so fast. He also isn't a huge fan of really cold foods, like my smoothie.
-Is starting to lift his belly off the floor entirely during tummy time.
-Is starting to lift his belly off the floor entirely during tummy time.
-Has a million different smiles, and has started making the funniest faces. When I laugh, he will do the same face over and over again because he loves a good reaction.
-Has become a bit of a scaredy-cat! Mostly of abrupt or loud noises and voices, like when someone laughs suddenly or I turn on the blender. But he's also not fond of chickens, and randomly, he became terrified in the grocery store for no obvious reason. We've been there a million times with zero issues, but he got very scared the other day. He was inconsolable until I took him out of his stroller for a snuggle. It's funny because Colt can throw him in the air, turn him upside down, and basically flip him around like a Chinese acrobat, and Jace just smiles and squeals with joy. It's sad when he's afraid...but also sort of adorable because the face he makes is literally the cutest thing I have ever seen.
-Has laughed a few times after his happy squeals, but it's not a regular thing yet.
-Is refusing to sleep in his crib for naps, after MONTHS of doing so. I'm too tired to fight that battle right now, so the swing it shall be.
-Shakes his head back and forth while laying down, like he's saying no. He thinks it's hilarious, because it is.
-Is looking more like Colt every day.
-Is the happiest, smiliest little guy.
No one person has ever been able to make me so intensely frustrated one moment, then so filled with love and joy the next. I can be upset and irritated with him for being such a baby...and then he looks at me and smiles like I'm his number one lady, and I melt into a little mommy puddle.

No comments:
Post a Comment