Monday, July 6, 2015

The 4th of July







On Friday, we headed out to Yakima to spend the 4th of July with my sister-in-law and her family. We were a little apprehensive because it was supposed to be 108 degrees, and we weren't sure what we were going to do with Jace in that kind of heat. We needn't have worried. It was HOT, but we still found plenty of fun things to do. 

A friend of Matt and Alisha's offered to have us over to pick cherries from her cherry orchard. We filled our baskets with Bing and Rainier cherries (except for Colton, who ate everything he picked), and also snagged some of the bright red cherries that are used for cooking. Later that night, Matt and Alisha used their cherries to make a homemade pie for the 4th. So. Good. 

On Saturday, we got the babes ready for the day, then Matt and Alisha filled up a small inflatable pool in the backyard so the littles could "swim." It was quite toasty outside, but we sat under the shade of a big red umbrella and misted our feet with the hose to keep cool. Jace joined in on the fun after he finished his marathon nap (which, may I add, what the heck?! With few exceptions, Jace naps for no more than 30 minutes tops at home. But, when we go out of town, he'll nap for up to an hour and forty-five minutes. No complaints here!), and he loved sitting in the water, playing with toys, and watching his cousins. 

I was a little worried about how Jace would do with his cousins, Bailey and Bentley. Some of the other little kids we've been around have been a bit rough with Jace. I really don't feel like I'm super over-protective; I understand that kids are kids, and that entails being on the business end of a pinch or a smack every now and again. And Jace is pretty tough for a baby. But I don't love when my guileless 5 month old receives a five-finger slap to the face from a three year old with an agenda (attempts have been made in the past). Again, I needn't have worried. Seriously, Bailey is the sweetest, most helpful 4 year old I have ever seen. She loves babies, and was constantly snuggling Jace, trying to make him laugh, giving him kisses when he was sad, and was heard to say on more than one occasion "Oh, Dace, I dust yuv you." He adored her. And Bentley, who is just over a year old, was SO gentle! He would toddle over to where Jace sat in his bouncer, reach out, and oh-so-very-softly stroke Jace's face and hair with his fingertips. We had zero incidents, because Jace has the best little cousins around. Love you, Bailey and Bentley! We miss you already! 

We barbecued and had a delicious 4th of July feast. Colt and I didn't make it to see fireworks, although we did manage to stay up late enough to watch Bailey and Bentley shriek with laughter as they tossed poppers on the back patio. We sort of regretted staying up as late as we did, though, because Jace was up pretty much all night long. I lost track of how many times he woke up, but it was somewhere in the teens. Yikes. I don't think I want to talk about it. Still too fresh.

 Other than that, though, we had so much fun. After spending the 4th of July on the east coast last year (I can't believe it's been a whole year!), it was so great to be able to spend the holiday with family. I love the 4th, and otterpops, and fireworks, and babies, and baby cousins, and kiddy pools in the backyard, and cherry picking, and sunshine, and Colton, and Matt and Alisha, and...I loved that pie. 

No comments: