Wednesday, August 26, 2015

7 Months











Oh my little Jace-Man,

You are seven months old today. Everyone says big changes are just around the corner, and I am already getting glimpses as you hold onto my fingers and pull yourself up to a stand all by yourself, or when you reach for something and lean so far over that you're almost on your hands and knees. Soon the era of "immobile baby" will be a thing of the past, and I'll have a curious little mover. I'm so excited for those changes, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'm ready. You're growing up so fast, and based on how hard and fast you kick those chubby little legs when we pick you up, I think you're going to be pretty swift of foot. 

You are doing so many new things. You can pull yourself to a stand, and are so close to realizing that you can support yourself on all fours, although you immediately push your knees out straight when Dad or I let go of you. You know your name and love to play "Where's Jace?" and "Peek-a-Boo." It's been so neat to see you learn who you are and start to purposefully play games with us. You connect your roll-overs and can cover a respectable amount of surface area in a short period of time, but only when you're in the mood. Most of the time you're perfectly content to stay where you are. You've become a side/tummy sleeper, and we had to take your lovey away, because you liked to bury your face into it during the night. You play pass with your tiny basketball, and hate having your face and hands wiped. It's quite the crisis. You've also started to reach a little for me when I come to pick you up, and monkey and pig noises never fail to make you laugh.

You have funny little quirks, like crossing your ankles when you eat, and making "The Grudge" noise when you are super relaxed and trying to soothe yourself to sleep. You also love to practice putting your own bink in your mouth while you're trying to take a nap, but your aim is a bit off so you usually fall asleep while chewing on the outside of the paci. You stick your tongue out all the time, and you've started to give lovely (and slobbery) open-mouth kisses. That might be my favorite trick of yours to date. 

You are a blast to hang out with. Sure, sometimes you're a bit of a fussy-pants, but there's usually a reason, even though it can take a minute before Dad and I identify that reason (sorry about that). But you are my little buddy, and we go everywhere together. You love to dance with me, and you love acoustic guitar. You smile at strangers and make new friends wherever we go. When you laugh hard, you start to snort, which basically means we were meant for each other. You are obsessed with watching me drink soda, and seize every opportunity to grab the bottle and try and take a swig or two yourself. One day, son. But not today. 

As much as I look forward to bedtime and a couple hours to myself, I look forward just as much to when you wake up at 6:00 am and I get to come get you and bring you back to bed to snuggle for an hour or two before we're fully awake for the day. You love an adventure, and are completely content in your pack when we go hiking. We took you inside Cabela's last weekend, and you had the biggest smile on your face from the moment we walked inside to our eventual exit. You grinned at every person who walked by, even if they didn't pay you the slightest bit of attention. You loved it in there, and we loved taking you. It's so fun to show you new things, and figure out what makes you happy.

You've made Dad and I more adventurous, more willing to take certain risks and less inclined to take others (no more 100 mph rides on that motorcycle, right Colt?). You bring laughter and smiles, silly voices and piggy faces, sloppy kisses and early mornings, and endless amounts of joy to our hearts and to our home. It's never easy, but it's worth it.

 You won't be my baby forever, but I hope you are always curious, always adventurous, that you remain sweet and friendly and strong and observant and determined and wonderful. We love you, little man.

Love, Mama

No comments: