Monday, May 1, 2017

Jace and Luke 6 Weeks Later




I wouldn't say that we've gotten into a rhythm yet, persay. Getting out of the house with both the boys still feels overwhelming some days, although when I actually go through the effort of getting everything together, it isn't that bad. It's more that someone is always still asleep, or I have to nurse, burp, change, finish nursing, change the spit-uppy outfit, change Jace's diaper, get the bag, buckle into carseats, etc...the thought of it makes me tired! So we are still working on it. But I would say that we are all acclimating nicely to our new family of four, making adjustments as we go, and taking every day as it comes. I think that's pretty reasonable, for six weeks. I think in my head I had an unspoken expectation that by six weeks, I'd have it all figured out by now. They say it takes the body about six weeks to recover from childbirth, and so I think I had this subconscious deadline that my life should have "recovered," or have a semblance of routine by now, too. And it does, to some extent. But not to the extent that we are out and about everyday (or even most days), or that I sometimes have to bag our plans for the day because I'm too tired or the boys are too cranky, or that I can say we don't watch way, way, way too much T.V. To be honest, most mornings pass in a haze of Winnie the Pooh, goldfish crackers, and hoping the boys decide to nap at the same time so we can go for a walk together in the afternoons. But we will get there. For now, I'm trying to remind myself to dial it back, relax, and enjoy these slow-yet-hectic days and nights...and be ok with a messy house (I'm not very good at that). One of these days it will click into place, a routine will get established, I'll hopefully get a better handle on being a mama to two crying, hungry boys in the morning, and we will be up and about, ready to go play! Hopefully in time to enjoy the late spring sunshine that I am SURE is on it's way.  

Jace Snapshot
...Some current favorite Jace phrases include: "dirt dog," (a quote from Homeward Bound, when Chance the dog tells Sassy: "Well look who's down in the dirt with the dogs."),  "Pooh sammich," (a Pooh Bear Sandwich, which is what we call peanut butter and honey sandwiches), asking for "Hugs?" when he gets tired on our walks and wants to be carried, saying "Otay!" when he falls down and wants us to know he isn't hurt, and calling his brother by his name: "Morning, Wook!" "Hi, Wook!" and "Baby Wook!" 
...Thinks it's a fun game to steal Luke's binkie. Call me a fun-sucker, but I really am not a fan of this game. Usually he takes it when it's sitting around while Luke is eating or whatnot, but I've caught him taking it out of Luke's mouth and then trying to stuff it back in. 
...He loves to talk to Mimi on the phone ("A talk a Mimi?"). He hasn't quite grasped that she can't see him unless they're on FaceTime, though, and he ends up running around trying to show her things, forgetting to talk to her. 
...He has a great memory.
...Knows what sound owls make
...Loves to color with his "tannies," (crayons). He can consistently identify and label the yellow crayon, and sometimes the blue and green crayons. He also insists on using a grown-up pen or pencil to scribble on our yellow legal pad every time he sees Colt or I writing something down.  
...Becomes very concerned when the internet connection is disrupted and his show takes a minute to load-"A show working?!"
...Likes to hold Luke's hand in the car when we're driving into town. I've looked back to check on them a few times now, and Jace will just be quietly holding the baby's hand in his own while he uses the other to play with his cars or eat his snack. Best friends. It makes me want to tear up a little. Whatever happens in life, they will always have each other, and I hope they never forget it.
...If Jace were a song, he would be "The Wanderer" by Dion.  "They call me the Wanderer, I roam around, around. around..."

Luke Snapshot
...He's smiling real smiles. They're beautiful. 
...Just spent the night in his own room for the first time, and took his first bottle tonight from Dad while Jace and I went out for a milkshake and ran to the grocery store. 
...This guy is always up for a game of Patty Cake or This Little Piggy. Don't let his serious, suspicious expressions fool you. It might seem like he's not having much fun, then his little face will break out into a gummy grin. It's the happiest thing.
...Is a true Washingtonian. He cries whenever the sun shines on his face. 
...When he's fussy, a diaper change or a burp usually calms him down for at least a while.
...Goes through multiple outfit changes a day. I don't mind too much, it gives me an excuse to get him in as many of his cute clothes as possible before he outgrows them.
...He's so fun to have around. Sometimes I glance over and he's staring at me, just waiting for me to look at him so he can give me a little smile. 
...He's starting to talk to us. He coos, we coo back, he coos, and on it goes. I love his little baby voice. 
...If Luke were a song, he would be "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers. "When I wake up in the morning love, and the sunlight hurts my eyes...then I look at you, and I know it's gonna be a lovely day..."




No comments: