Friday, July 5, 2013

Our First Fourth

This 4th of July was a special one. Not only was it our very first holiday as married folk, it was the very first time we've ever been together on the 4th of July, which happens to be both of our favorite holiday. I kind of wanted it to be a fun day, because our last couple 4th's have been a little off.

July 4th, 2011...

We knew each other, and we were friends, but weren't dating. I had hoped that he would be around that day and we would get to spend it together, but he was gone all morning and I didn't want to wait around to see if he had plans or not. So, I headed up to Salt Lake early that afternoon to hang out with my cousin and her friends, and watch the fireworks at Sugarhouse Park.  

As soon as I got up to SLC, Colt called. Of course he did. And, of course, he wanted to know what I was up to that night. Gah! 

Ain't that always the way?

 Part of me wanted so badly to say "I'm totally free!" But obviously I didn't, because the other, rational part of me refused to look completely lame...and maybe another tiny part of me wanted him to realize he was missing out. So I stayed up in Salt Lake.

 And I'm confident he missed me while he enjoyed delicious barbecue with a bunch of his Polynesian buddies.

 Colt and I at a Ward Talent Show, Summer 2011

July 4th, 2012...

He was in Seattle, I was in Salt Lake. 

I walked to Sugarhouse Park and watched the fireworks by myself. He drove somewhere and watched the fireworks alone from inside his truck in the parking lot.

Long distance relationships suck. 

I'm pretty sure he missed me, AND he didn't have any delicious Polynesian barbecue to ease the pain this time. 
  Horsetail Falls, Summer 2012

July 4th, 2013...

So, you can kind of see why I wanted this 4th of July to be a good one. And I wanted to create some traditions! Because they're fun. Sooo...I packed in all the traditions I could think of.

We woke up and made pancakes. We watched, not one, but two patriotic movies, Act of Valor and Behind Enemy Lines. War movies are patriotic, right? We spent the morning reading and relaxing. Then we went to Sonic and got delicious drinks and picked up stuff for dinner.

We went to Colt's sister's house and played with our adorable nephew. We ate hotdogs and hamburgers, then headed off to the Freedom Festival in Provo. We got mini ice cream cones, and then watched the Stadium of Fire fireworks with Kristy and Ryan and some of their friends. It was an awesome day!

Only problem was that the fireworks started a half hour late, and my poor husband had to get up at six for work. And it took us an hour to get home, because of traffic.

I think our first holiday together wore him out. Good thing the 4th only comes once a year. Maybe next year, we'll just stick to Polynesian barbecue. 

Cell Phone Bridal Pictures, Summer 2013

                                                  

  This is why we can't go nice places

                                               

No comments: