Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day


6:05 a.m.
I wake up early to make Colton heart shaped chocolate-chip pancakes and eggs. 
We even have blueberry syrup, because it is a special day. 
The pancakes come out looking more like kidneys.
Delicious, chocolate-chip kidneys.

7:00 a.m.
We eat the kidney pancakes. 
Colton receives his hand-crafted Valentine from me. 

7:30 a.m. 
Colt leaves for work. 
I had to do preschool testing with the district, so I got to go in a bit later.
Happy Valentine's Day to me!
Then, one kid took an hour and a half to test.
And he didn't even know it was Valentine's Day.
Four year-old goober.

3:10 p.m. 
Colton sends me a text asking when I'll get off of work. 
I tell him I'm leaving in five minutes.

3:35 p.m.
I actually leave work.

3:55 p.m.
I get home and our front door is locked. 
I'm a little annoyed, because I know Colt is home,
and unlocking the door is hard for me.
Always has been, always will be.
I walk in the door (keys stuck in the lock, per usual)
and our wedding playlist is on full blast 
(Ray Lamontagne's "You Are The Best Thing" at this particular moment).
On the counter is a calendar Colt created using pictures of us from specific months 
(with sweet notes on each page),
two sugar cookies from Swig 
(the best ever, which I've been craving for weeks)
and some pretty red roses.
He also had an itinerary all written out: 
Dinner at Magleby's at 5:00, Saving Mr. Banks at 7:30, etc.

5:00 p.m.
We drive to Magleby's and wait to be seated.

5:15 p.m.
We are seated. 
We've never been to Magleby's before, and as luck would have it,
our waitress tells us we picked a great night to come. 
Instead of providing dinner menus like usual, tonight is buffet style. 
This means that, for only $40.00 per person, you can get however much of whatever you want, including their renowned seafood selections. 
We thank our waitress, and she leaves to get us water.

5:17 p.m.
We sneak out of Magleby's.

5:30 p.m.
We drive to the actual Magleby's we intended to eat at in the first place 
(i.e. a more casual dining experience) 
and order ourselves a delicious burrito (for C) and a Philly Cheese Steak sammich (for me)
 for $8.00 a plate.
Ah. That's better.

6:00 p.m.
We realize we have an hour and a half to kill before our movie starts.
We drive home.

6:25 p.m.
I climb in our bed. 

6:40 p.m.
I cannot get out. 
I realize: We can either pay seven dollars to sleep at the movie theater, or sacrifice seven dollars to sleep in our own bed.

7:00 p.m.
After some finagling, we get ahold of the theater manager, who agrees to let us switch our tickets to the Saturday afternoon showing.

7:30 p.m.
I am asleep.
It's a Valentine's Day tradition, you see.
In two of the three Valentine's Day's we've had together, we've been asleep before 8:30.

Who are we to mess with tradition?

I realize that not everyone's perfect Valentine's Day involves copious amounts of delicious food 
and falling asleep before many infants.
Ours does, though.

 I hope you had the most perfect Valentine's Day for you!


No comments: