Monday, January 4, 2016

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year



Jace loved climbing the stairs, the little mountain goat

Jace opening his stocking with Papa




We framed the history of our last name and the family crest and gave it to my parents for their Christmas gift. It's pretty cool, if I do say so myself. 
My dad's paper airplane that he made at OMSI was perfectly aerodynamically sound, so we got a picture.
JJ gave himself a green smoothie unibrow and goatee.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! It's been awhile since my last post, hasn't it? It feels like it, anyways. We spent the holidays in Oregon with my family. My sister and her husband were sealed in the Portland Temple on January 2nd, and so we were in town for almost two weeks, kickin' it with my sassy sisters and their husbands at Mimi and Papa Todd's house.  It's likely to be the last time we will all be home for Christmas, because Taylor, Chelsey's husband, just got into medical school at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, and Amy and Jefferson are going to school out in Virginia ( and Jefferson is starting the medical school application process, as well, so who knows where they will end up!). So we tried to live it up and make it special this year while everyone was together. 
On Christmas Eve morning, my parents orchestrated a gingerbread house decorating competition, and everyone brought their A-game. Jefferson and Amy made a Japanese cabin complete with a rock garden, Chels and Tay had an open fire-pit in their side yard which included roasting marshmallows, a basketball court with an M&M basektball, and a fir tree constructed out of pretzels. Colt and I built a stone chimney, a goldfish pond, and a little razor scooter for JJ in the backyard. When a cash prize is on the line, we get creative. That night, we ate a delicious dinner (hello, cheesy potatoes. I've missed you so), held a little nativity program to honor the birth of our Savior, and finished up playing the Name Game and goofing around. 

On New Years Eve, we went to the church gym and played several games of basketball. Turns out, I can still shoot the ball! Colt was impressed, which is why I insisted we all go play-Colt needs to know he married a baller. However, I played in constant fear of being crushed by the animal that is my father when he drives to the hoop. I have five bruises on my left leg alone, and two jammed fingers. Despite the minor injuries we all sustained, we had a ton of fun, and I can't think of a more suitable way for our family to ring in the new year:  Christensen Style. We got home, showered, ate some delicious steak and finger foods, and then laid down on the couch. At about 8:30, Colt and I called it a night. Yeah. We didn't even try.  I can't believe I ever used to stay up past 10:00 on purpose. We got over 9 hours of sleep that night, so it was a Happy New Year, indeed.

Like I said before, my sister Chelsey was sealed to her husband on the 2nd, their one-year anniversary. It was really special, and we are so excited for them. We took pictures afterwards and enjoyed an awesome dinner celebration at her in-laws house. We had so much fun, and Jace loved being the only baby and the apple of everyone's eye. 

Speaking of that JJ babe, he cut ANOTHER tooth while we were in Oregon. What the?! And he's getting close to walking. Where did my baby go?

Colt and I were able to go see Concussion (the SLP in me cheered for Dr. Omalu. Gotta protect that cognitive function) and have dinner together. I love date nights, and I love that man.

I got to run at the park, see a dear friend from high school and her new baby girl, and we took Jace to OMSI (an interactive children's science museum) on New Years Day. My sisters and I also hit up Salt & Straw (i.e. the most incredible ice cream shop in the world) even though it was 30 degrees outside. It's that good. I highly recommend a scoop of sea salt and caramel. 

I think thats about everything. Mostly, though, it was just nice to see my family and relax. I hope everyone had the happiest of holidays and wish you all the happiest year yet.


No comments: