Monday, September 18, 2017

The Big 3-0


This is the only picture I have from Colt's 30th birthday party. Ha! I have a couple of videos, but clearly, taking pictures was not high on the list of priorities that day. 

I had a tough time deciding what to do for my babe on this milestone birthday. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, because he's such a great dad and husband; he deserved something different and special this year. On our anniversary in June, we had a family birthday party, and Jace had a blast. Colt kept mentioning how much he enjoyed that day, and how happy it made him to see JJ having so much fun...and thus, my idea was born. I decided to throw another birthday party, complete with decorations, a cake, and piƱata! I even chose a theme: Construction Zone! Colt and I aren't typically "party people," but I thought 30 would be a good time to stir up some childhood nostalgia and take him back one last time to the birthday parties of yesteryear, before he had to dive headfirst into middle-age. And I knew Jace would love to have another birthday party.

I made all the boys a special breakfast of Mickey Mouse sprinkle pancakes, and Colt opened a couple of his gifts. We took Jace to get a haircut, picked up some lunch at our favorite burger joint (Nicks' Jr), and took our food to Payne Airfield to watch the airplanes take off and land. When we returned home, we ate a special birthday dinner and dessert (Colt's favorite custard trifle), and then busted out the main event: the construction truck pinata! Jace had been eying that pinata all day, but when it came time to whack it with the baseball bat, he was a bit hesitant. After we showed him what to do, he was more enthusiastic and took a few solid swings before we gave up and pulled the tassels to release the candy.

This year, I had Colt's closest friends and family all write him a personal letter, then I bound them all in a book and gave it to him on his birthday. He also got some money, and he's thinking he'd like to spend it on a few wood-working tools so he can learn how to build awesome things like a kitchen table for his wife. ;)

Happy Birthday, Colt! You are the peaches to my cream, the honey to my bee, and the cheese to my macaroni. Yum. I'm hungry.

No comments: